четвер, 6 лютого 2020 р.

A Place in Thy Memory by Gerald Griffin (1803–40)

A PLACE in thy memory, Dearest!
  Is all that I claim:
To pause and look back when thou hearest
  The sound of my name.
Another may woo thee, nearer;        
  Another may win and wear;
I care not though he be dearer,
  If I am remember’d there.

Remember me, not as a lover
  Whose hope was cross’d,        
Whose bosom can never recover
  The light it hath lost!
As the young bride remembers the mother
  She loves, though she never may see,
As a sister remembers a brother,        
  O Dearest, remember me!

Could I be thy true lover, Dearest!
  Couldst thou smile on me,
I would be the fondest and dearest
  That ever lov’d thee:        
But a cloud on my pathway is glooming
  That never must burst upon thine;
And heaven, that made thee all blooming,
  Ne’er made thee to wither on mine.

Remember me then! O remember        
  My calm light love,
Though bleak as the blasts of November
  My life may prove!
That life will, though lonely, be sweet
  If its brightest enjoyment should be        

Немає коментарів: